I’m still quite tired from the trip. I had to have a technician come to the house to repair my internet. Seems that a wire had been frayed outside but it was nice just to unplug and work on my photos. Here are a smattering, really random including some infrared that I did in post.
Part 2 of my Iceland saga begins soon. My main concern will be power and SD card management, especially since this time I am camping. One possible issue with the itinerary so far is going south west through the interior from Askja (right in the middle of the map below) since the roads may still be impassible with multiple river fords. Best bet will be to speak to the rangers at the station before beginning the hike to soak in the Viti crater. More soon.
I wasn’t shocked at the Trump win. I, like many, see wealth inequality as the major issue with voters, regardless of how the media doesn’t want to see it. Trumps one-liners on trade and taxes worked since most people don’t understand how these things really function but they see, sometimes accurately, that groups capture the pen on government policy and further exacerbate these already dangerous inegalitarian trends.
Chatting with friends, I came up with some events that I think are inevitable:
1. A major terrorist attack occurs in the USA. Trumps isolationism is a major boon to many international actors and it is quite clear that an attack would further embolden American withdrawal from the world.
2. Putin invades and occupies the Baltic States. Putins Russia gets a huge reprieve with Trump in the White House. The economic sanctions will end, saving Putins regime. Ironic that Republicans and all their anti-Russian Cold War attitudes are Putins biggest supporters.
3. Japan implements a nuclear military option. Trump has railed against defence expenditures in Asia. As USA troops and strategic assets are removed from the theatre, Tokyo moves forward with a renewed militarized agenda hoping to solve both military and economic issues. Tensions with Beijing escalate. Beijing may just Crimea Taiwan since Trump doesn’t seem to care.
4. No brainer: Paris Accord is dead. As are many who live along the worlds coastlines.
5. Americas cities will burn. Trumps racist rhetoric will be the last straw and many major cites will be hit by ongoing racial discord and social action. Trumps anger will be echoed on the streets.
6. Trumps biggest enemies will be traditional Conservatives who will decry the massive debt and borrowing that Trump will need to do to accomplish his agenda. // edit – I realized after posting that this is why Thiel is with Trump: Trump is looking for cash and will give tech billionaires a massive tax break to bring their cash back from their tax havens.
7. Social inequality in the USA will increase and while manufacturing will return to the USA, plants will be robotic and poor whites will continue their slide into economic oblivion. But Right Wing media will calm them with the thought that, at the very least, despised minorities are faring even worse.
8. The Democratic Party will continue to slide into history if it doesn’t reform its ways. It, like the Blair Labour Party, tacked to the centre and promoted itself as conservative-lite. Voters decided that they might as well just vote Conservative. Corporate Britain despises Corbyn and his agenda so there is no foreseeable option that will actually address the problems of inequality without violence. Can the Democratic Party get itself together for the 2018 Congressional races?
9. Wealth inequality will grow and many Americans will be surprised as trade walls increase prices of practically everything. Trade wars and real wars will make the world a much more expensive place.
I’m binge watching Marvel’s Luke Cage. It is a worthy successor the the Daredevil series with a great soundtrack so far. I don’t know the characters since I never read that comic but I’m impressed so far! Like Mr. Robot, a hoodie is his costume. No worse than a simple pair of glasses, I guess.
Announced at Photokina, Fujifilm is introducing a 50.4 megapixel medium format camera. Six lenses are also announced for the system. More here. Impressive technology. They mentioned that the body plus one lens would be less than 10k. Cheap when compared to the Hasleblad system so threatening to the full frame market since this would cost the same with more resolution but not on my shopping list anytime soon.
As the end of season 2 is next week, I have decided to binge the show again to see if the theory that Eliot has a third personality, namely, Tyrell. And that Tyrell is the main personality with Eliot being his hacker persona.
Outside of the eLLiot, oLLie, and tyreLL name connection, is there anything there?
I’m also interested in seeing if I can gain some more information on the origins theory regarding the nuclear power plant. Are the theories of time travel and alternate realities just red herrings? I think there is a wrinkle in the story. I don’t subscribe to the theory that this is all the Matrix (too obvious) or Lost (please no) but there is some sci-fi twist as yet revealed.
I was giddy as the show started since I know how good it will get! Things the second time around will provide better context, I’m hoping. Part of the Tyrell theory also includes Angela being Tyrells sister and not just an old friend. Their first interaction was telling . We find out that Angela found the job at E Corp for Eliot and within minutes in the first conversation with Tyrell, Tyrell mentions that he started as a tech guy and is now a rising executive in the company. Tyrell then says how much he is going to appreciate working with Eliot but why would their paths cross in such a large organization? My conjecture is that Tyrell is the main personality and Eliot is to Tyrell as Mr. Robot is to Eliot. I also didn’t realize the persistent motif of the fish. QWERTY is in a small fishbowl and is a black fighting fish. And that’s just the first 20 minutes! So I will just be blogging and binging.
It just struck me that when Eliot and Mr.Robot first go to the arcade that the guy who opens the door only looks at Eliot. I double checked and he didn’t even look in the direction of Mr. Robot. Inside the arcade Darlene notices that Eliot is talking to someone but I do know from the big twist that this scene is an early “tell” like when you watch The Sixth Sense for the second time. // holy shit it is obvious even in the first episode.
The scene where Eliot does background on the arcade is interesting. The owner was shot three times in the back and the article noted that this was the fifth murder in a short period. Are these other murders connected to the main storyline?
Another episode, and breakfast, done. Not much more on my initial conjecture. There is some question surrounding when they find out about Evil Corps role in the toxic waste dump killing both Angela’s mother and Eliot’s father. But, it still doesn’t rule out the fact that Angela and Eliot could be brother and sister. I also found the scene with a young Eliot and his mother as they waited for the bus to be interesting since his mother appears as harsh as Tyrell’s wife. Sorry, my Freudian is showing.
So, to restate: is Elliot Tyrell’s malware?
//well after an entire season binged on a rainy Saturday I can honestly say that I am no closer to either proving or disproving the whole Elliot/Tyrell connection. In fact, I think I know less. But my beef Bourgogne was fantastic!
I got a late start to Season 2 but right from the beginning, the jail sequence is quite obvious. I initially thought that it was therapy but the scheduled day could have been prison as it turned out to be. Leon is a great character!
Here is the sanest thing that I have read thus far.